Største dating side Dragør free dating sites in arkansas
The priory no longer exists, although a church has been situated on the site since about 900.
At the beginning of the 12th century, Benedictine monks from England founded St Canute's Abbey.
An 8 kilometre (5.0 mi) long, 7.5 metre (25 ft) deep canal from Odense Harbour to Odense Fjord was built between 17 to facilitate the growth of Odense as a port city, radically increasing its level of trade and population.
From the 1840s, the city enjoyed a period of rapid expansion beyond its traditional boundaries, becoming Denmark's second largest city.
In 1720, Frederick IV ordered the rebuilding of Odense Palace, partly on the foundations of the 13th century St.
Hans’s Monastery, and the construction of St Hans’s Church by the Knights Hospitallers.
Canute IV of Denmark, generally considered to be the last Viking king, was murdered by unruly peasants, discontent with the high taxes he imposed on the town, in Odense's St Alban's Priory on 10 July 1086.The city gates were demolished in 1851 and soon afterwards development extended to the area south of the river.Glove production, which had begun in the 18th century, developed into one of the most important industries while the harbour facilities were further expanded.In sports, Odense has a number of football clubs including OB, BM, B1909, and B1913, the Odense Bulldogs professional ice hockey team, and the city also hosts the H. The earliest community was centred on the higher ground between the Odense River to the south and Naesbyhoved Lake (now dry) to the north.Nonnebakken, one of Denmark's former Viking ring fortresses, lay to the south of the river.